Sunday, January 29, 2012

Each workday we have a devotional in the Area office at 8:30.  It is attended by our office staff which consists of the presidency (when they are in the office, the two secretaries, Marlene and I, three Public Affairs folks and about six people from the Area Legal office.  There is a hymn (one day in English and one day in Russian), a spiritual thought, and then a prayer.

Here is Marlene's thought from about a week ago.


Marlene’s devotional thoughts from about 1-23-12
I would like to share a new feeling and insight I have had since coming to Russia.

I felt so lost!  I felt stripped of all familiar and known things and places.  I had left everything I owned or had, behind, except for what I could fit into three suitcases.

I had entered a strange land, with a strange language, with different food, and I was expected to do work I had never done before.

As I was thinking about this the idea came to me, “But you still have with you what matters most to you:  your husband, your testimony, the gospel of Jesus Christ, and a Heavenly Father who loves you.   And your family is safe at home, taking care of each other and they will do just fine without you.”  (Even if you think they can’t!)

Then in Sunday School, when we talked about how Lehi and his family left Jerusalem I now had a deeper understanding and appreciation for what they went through.

Then I thought about the Saints going west and what they experienced, and a new understanding and appreciation came to me for them too!

Later that day I was reminded of a scripture that I like, 2 Nephi 10:23.

We are free to choose the way of eternal life because of the choices those before us made.

I chose to come to Russia because I know the gospel is true.

You are all here because you chose to accept the gospel in your lives.

And because of the choices and the work we do here we are helping to make it possible for the people of the Area to have a choice also.

I would like to thank you all for your kindness and patience with Elder Johnson and me, for and making us feel welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Nice insights! We are taking care of each other while you are gone - kind of.

    ReplyDelete